Cambodia, Day 12 (Aug. 9, 2007)

Another glorious rainstorm pounded our metal and thatched roof all night long. We've eaten breakfast, made bus arrangements to Phnom Penh, and the rain is still falling hard. The yard of our hotel is covered in about three inches of water. I'm sitting in our open doorway in a wicker chair, completely content. I'm glad to have a little down time to reflect on the trip.

Here are the things I will miss about Cambo: dragonfruit, banana shakes, the Gulf of Thailand, driving past Angkor Wat in the morning, tuk-tuks, Mr. Vanna and Su, well-mannered stray dogs and cats, the second-floor balcony of the HSH Guesthouse, bullfrogs, water buffalo, incense, amok, and waking up to the crowing of roosters.*

Here are the things I will NOT miss about Cambo: beggars, the smell of rotting garbage, land mine signs, brushing your teeth with day-old bottled water, raw sewage in the Gulf of Thailand, aggressive tuk-tuk drivers, and creepy ex-pats.**

I'd give anything if we could stay with the kids and travel through Laos and Thailand. I'm not ready to leave yet.

-----
Brad's footnotes
* To this list, I would add only the ability to order Pastis by the glass and bodysurfing. And I would've put amok higher on the list.
** This about covers it for me, too. Though, to be fair, I discovered the Pastis thanks to a creepy ex-pat.

No comments: