Peru, Day Ten (July 21, 2009)

Have to geek out for a moment and reveal my closet birdwatching obsession. I cannot believe that I saw a spatula-tailed hummingbird in the garden beneath my balcony this morning. What an outstanding way to start the day.

















After breakfast, we traveled by taxi to Chachapoyas. It was a beautiful ride through country that would be a playground for any geologist. We´re staying at the Gran Hotel Vilaya, a dismal but safe place that´s close to the main plaza. After fighting with the laptop for a couple of hours (the advertised ¨free hotel wi-fi¨is a joke), we wandered down to the plaza for lunch. Stopped by the Amazonas office of the INC and had a long chat with the staff archaeologist about the work going on at Kuelap. Then made arrangements with a travel agency for a day trip to Kuelap tomorrow. The internet cafes in this part of the country are maddeningly slow, but I´ll try to post photos once we´re back in Lima on Saturday.

3 comments:

Annie said...

A spatula tailed hummingbird ... I know that must have been beautiful.

As a fellow avian geek, I must admit that the annual Audubon Bird counts in the tropical jungles of Panama were one of my fav secret obsessions!

Maggie&Bandit said...

Sounds like you are doing great....knee and all. Hope you are hanging in well!

Brad said...

Now, if only you could find a whisk-tailed bird, in a nest with some eggs, you could whip up a great breakfast...